If you are interested in financial markets and the economy,
you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the
latest national and international developments or consult
the most recent economic and financial forecasts,
all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest
to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed.
It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
Weekly Economic Watch
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Weekly U.S. Recession Dashboard
Given the growing fears of a recession in the U.S., we have decided to resurrect our tracking table for recession indicators. This dashboard shows the current reading and recent momentum of several indicators compared to the ones observed three months before the eight previous recessions
- U.S.: Will retailers derail the November jobs report?
- U.S.: Housing freeze hints at rapid transmission of monetary tightening
- U.S.: Goods inflation falling much faster than in the stagflation era
- U.S.: Housing market buckling under the weight of rising mortgage rates
- U.S.: Supply chain constraints a thing of the past
- Canada: The population of a province added in a single quarter
- Canada: Rapid declines after soaring increases
- Canada: Inflation amplified the negative wealth effect in H1 2022
- Canada: There is something really wrong with CPI-common
- Europe: Another shortage... of water this time
- Heavy lifting (in Canada’s domestic bond market)
- Duration nation (as here comes the cash)
- In Focus - Handicapping future GoC bond supply
- Holiday party in Canadian public sector credit?
- ‘Show me your [budget update] and I’ll show you mine’
- Ontario FES: Where the rubber meets the road
- [Addendum] - December cash flows: Lucky number 13?
- In Focus - All we are saying is give RRBs a chance
- [Addendum] - Simulating stuff
- No blinking at Jerome Powell’s Fed
A detailed listing with links to every Market View report published this year
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- (2022/08/26) Canada : Strong demographics that will stand out even more than expected
- (2022/07/28) Higher interest rates and household debt: Cause for recession?
- (2022/07/22) Inflation frustration: What is wrong with CPI-common?
- (2022/07/18) Wage and Price Control: A bad good idea?
- (2022/01/18) “What’s going on in Quebec?”
- (2021/11/30) Canada can't afford to bleed capital like this
- (2021/08/17) Debt servicing costs
- (2021/08/13) In Focus - Ballot Ballet: A 2021 federal election primer in four acts
- (2021/04/30) Has the BoC disavowed its own core inflation measures?
- (2020/07/24) Canadian Labour Market: Devils in the details
- U.S. midterm elections - The return of divided government
- The perfect storm facing Europe
- How Chinese-U.S. relations continue to worsen
- Resource nationalism sweeps Latin America
- America’s growing LNG exports come with great political challenges
- The higher costs involved in moving to a lower-trust global economy
- The environmental controversy surrounding wood-based biofuels
- The Ukraine war and remaking of the world order
- Ukraine and the fog of war
- Is the EU facing the perfect energy and geopolitical storm?